Although some VA benefits do not apply to a veteran’s parents – such as CHAMPVA health coverage – there are others available. You may be entitled to additional compensation if your parents rely on you financially.
End of Advertisement
The VA Dependent Benefit for Parents
This type of dependent benefit pays extra to a veteran whose parent(s) are financially dependent on him or her. The Dependent Benefit for Parents is based on need, which means that it is income- and net worth – dependent.
Veterans Eligibility Requirements
To qualify for this benefit, a veteran must meet either of the following criteria:
- Receives compensation with a total evaluation rating of 30% or greater OR
- Receives VA educational benefits based on enrollment of 1/2 or greater
Parents Eligibility Requirements
The following meet the definition of parent for VA purposes:
- A biological parent
- An adoptive parent OR
- A foster parent, step-parent, etc. who was the veteran’s parent for at least 1 year prior to the veteran’s entering the service
A parent can be considered dependent if:
- His or her income and net worth are very small OR
- His or her income, assets etc. are considerable but his/her expenses are also quite high
Evidence of Net Worth and Income
In order for the VA to evaluate the parents’ financial worth, they must report income from all sources such as:
- bank accounts
Reducing Countable Income
The veteran’s parents can report the following expenses when submitting a claim:
- Non-reimbursed medical expenses that the parents spent on themselves and family members they support for the past 12 months
- Expenses related to housing, clothing, utilities, groceries, taxes, etc.
How to File a Claim for Parents As Dependents
Fill out and submit VA Form 21-509, Statement of Dependency of Parents to your local VA Regional Office or VARO.
For more information, please click here.
This website, CHAMPVAbenefits.com, is NOT affiliated with the Department of Veterans Affairs or any part of the U.S. government. Please DO NOT send us information about yourself such as your SSN, name, address, etc. for help with CHAMPVA. Further, we cannot guarantee that the information here is accurate and up-to-date. To ensure you have the latest information, please visit the official CHAMPVA home page at http://www.va.gov/hac/forbeneficiaries/champva/champva.asp. Your use of this site means you agree to and understand this disclaimer. Thank you!
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.