Usually, CHAMPVA is quick to process claims. But if you are a beneficiary and filed a claim on your own — most likely, to be reimbursed — you might still want to follow up on it, especially if it seems to be taking too long. The fastest, most convenient way to check the status of a CHAMPVA claim is by using its automated voice recording service.
End of Advertisement
Check CHAMPVA Claim Status by Phone
To check the status of a CHAMPVA claim by automatic voice recording if you are a beneficiary:
- Dial the VA Health Administration Center customer service number, currently 1-800-733-8387.
- Press #4 for “beneficiary.”
- Press #4 again to access automated system.
- Press #1 for “claims.”
- Enter the Social Security Number of the person for whom the claim was made.
- Enter the date of service in the format MM/DD/YYYY.
The recording will tell you if such a claim is found in the system. If so, it will tell you if the claim has been processed and how it was paid.
The recording will provide details such as:
- The status of the claim
- The check number
- The amount paid
- To whom payment has been made
If you have questions after listening to the recording, press #0.
Tips for Checking Status of Your Claims
- Have the claim information ready, such as your SSN, the date of service of the claim, the amount claimed, and the original provider billing statement
- Note the name of the customer service representative who takes your call
- Remember that all phone calls are recorded for quality and training purposes (so don’t say anything you don’t want recorded)
- Give CHAMPVA some time to process your claim. Wait at least 30 days.
- Make sure you provide the correct SSN for the claim. Use the beneficiary’s SSN, not the veteran sponsor’s. If it is for childbirth and no more than 3 days’ service, use the mother’s SSN, not that of the newborn baby.
- LISTEN CAREFULLY to the options by phone. VA may change its menus often.